Thursday, December 6, 2007

SC OTA for planets, thoughts

Since the weather doesn't allow planet photography, I have plenty of time to consider what I need to invest in the near future to my C8 package:
  • Dew shield
Needed especially in cold winter nights. Normally the corrector lens will suffer from frost formation, just when the imaging session is ongoing... Flexible model would be more convenient, since my setup needs to be portable.
  • Magnifying finder
There was only a red dot finder (RDF) include in C8 (without base..., that was promised to be separately sent to me). Brightest planets will be visible through an RDF, but it may be a bit struggling to get planet directly in the field of small webcam sensor. This remains to be seen with the actual use of scope.
  • Heater strips
Combined with dewshield, heater strips will be another (and propably the best) solution to battle against corrector lens frost. If/when I get more seriously interested about visual use of my scope, I may need to buy heater strip for eyepieces also.

No comments: